Working off-campus

If you are involved in planning or participating in work off campus, you must review the Work Off-Campus Procedures and Guidelines [2.30.09] to ensure your safety and compliance with relevant legislative requirements.

Depending on the work you are undertaking, you may require vaccinations and immunisation as per the Vaccinations and Immunisation Policy and Guidelines [2.60.08]. See Immunisations and disease for more information.

You may also be required to complete a Work Off-Campus Plan.

Work Off-Campus Plan

If you are conducting work at a location that is not a UQ campus or recognised site, you may need to complete a Work Off-Campus Plan through the UQSafe-Field Trip system.

Log in to UQSafe

This table will help you determine if you need to complete a plan:

ActivityPlan required?
Working from homeNo – refer to Flexible Working Arrangements Policy [5.55.07] for more information
Attending a conference or meetingsNo – refer to University Travel Management Policy [1.90.01] for more information
Student completing placement or work experience at an external organisationNo – refer to Placements in Coursework Programs Policy [3.10.04] for more information
Accompanying students on placementYes – a Work Off-Campus Plan is required for staff only
Accompanying students on a field trip (not a placement and not a UQ site)


Staff, higher degree research students or volunteers performing other activities at non-UQ locations
Yes – A Work Off-Campus Plan is required for all participants

Refer to Work Off-Campus Procedures and Guidelines [2.030.09] for more information

Using the UQSafe-Field Trip system

As of 1 January 2019, all Work Off-Campus Plans will be completed in UQSafe-Field Trip (UQ login required).

Before 1 January 2019, follow your school, centre or institute's process for completing and submitting Work Off-Campus Plans.

Refer to the field trip module guide (PDF, 830KB) for more information on how to create a Work Off-Campus Plan in UQSafe-Field Trip.

To approve a Work Off-Campus Plan, see the how to approve a field trip guide (PDF, 129KB).

Working outdoors

When working outdoors, it's important to practise proper sun safety. Review the Occupational Exposure to Sunlight Guidelines [2.30.10] for more information.

You should also consider the environment you will be working in and how to avoid any potential health risks. This includes:

Safety and training

Prior to undertaking off-campus work, you must complete any safety training required for your work. See Training and induction for more information.

Contact your local Work Health and Safety Coordinator (WHSC), Safety Manager or safety contact if you have any questions about required safety training.

Boating and diving safety

If your role requires you to undertake boating or diving activities, you should refer to the relevant procedures to ensure you're meeting all safety requirements ahead of and during your trip:

Contact the Boating and Diving Advisor for more information about boating and diving procedures.

Driving safety

Some off-campus work requires you to drive a car. In such cases, you should review the Work Off-Campus Guidelines [2.30.09] relevant to safe driving and the Vehicle Emergency Procedures (PDF, 657KB).

The Department of Transport and Main Roads offers additional information about driving safety:

Driving to remote locations or to terrain that requires off-road driving may require four wheel driving training. See the Four Wheel Drive Competency Training Guideline (PDF, 31KB) for more information.

Safety equipment

The safety equipment you require for off-campus work will depend on the circumstances of your travel and work activities. Examples of items you may need include:

  • first aid kit
  • snake bite kit
  • sunscreen and insect repellent
  • mobile phone and car antenna
  • UHF radio
  • satellite phone
  • distress beacon (PLB)
  • personal protective clothing and equipment (PPE).

Health concerns

If you are pregnant or have any health concerns (for example, immunodeficiency, severe asthma, recovering from illness or injury), you may be at higher risk from exposure to certain conditions, chemicals, biologicals or other hazards.

Prior to undertaking work off-campus or outdoors, you should:

  1. Check your risk assessment using the UQSafe-Field Trip database.
  2. Discuss your concerns with your supervisor, safety officer and health care provider.

For more information about working off-campus and outdoors health and safety, contact your local WHSC, Safety Manager or safety contact.

Working overseas

If you are planning an overseas work trip, you may be required to complete a Work Off-Campus Plan ahead of your departure.

You should also consult the 6 steps to travel for more information on how to plan, book and pay for your travel.


Related questions