All academic staff, including fixed-term, continuing and paid conjoints, are required to identify and disclose any activities relating to export controls, sanctions and sensitive research.

2. Identifying sensitive research

Export controls

Export controls refers to the legislation regarding the management of the trade of controlled goods and technology.

The DSGL has its origins in the Customs Act 1901 and defines and classifies controlled goods and technologies into two parts:

  • Part 1 includes items designed or adapted for military purposes, or items that are lethal, incapacitating or destructive
  • Part 2 includes items and technologies that may be used/adapted for military use, or that may contribute to the development/production of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons systems. These are commonly referred to as dual-use goods or technologies.

Research or academic staff who export or publish these items may require a permit.

The Research Ethics and Integrity office can assist UQ researchers with licence and permit applications for the export of controlled goods and technology. They can liaise with the Department of Defence to determine the research requirements which fall under the sensitive technologies list.

Defence Export Controls (DEC) developed the online DSGL tool, which is an online self-assessment tool to determine whether you require a permit from DEC to export, supply, publish or broker controlled goods, software or technology.

There are two parts to the online tool:

  • Activity Questionnaire to work out if the export, supply, brokering or publishing activity is ‘controlled’
  • DSGL Search to check if the goods, software or technology is listed in the DSGL.


Sanctions are enforced restrictions on activities that relate to particular countries, goods, services, persons and entities. Sanctions can impact on how academic staff conduct research activities at UQ, including the following:

  • the assignment of research staff or students from sanctioned countries to specific research topics, or access to specific equipment
  • the access of visiting academics from sanctioned countries to research, equipment or other prohibited areas
  • research collaborations with citizens/entities from/in sanctioned countries, and
  • the provision of technical advice, assistance or training in sanctioned goods or technologies.

The Research Ethics and Integrity office will conduct sanction assessments for researchers as required.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

How should I define collaboration in this circumstance?

If you co-publish, hold a grant, or co-supervise a student with an international colleague on this technology, you should register that collaboration detail.

I collaborate with a big group at an international University on the technology I work on. There are 20 people from this group that I have co-published with. Do I have to register them all?

Register the University once, and record the lead CI of the group you collaborate with.

I’m unsure if one of my research assistants that works on a technology under the DSGL is from a sanctioned country, what should I do?

Contact your local HR representative to ascertain the citizenship of the individual involved from their HR record.

For more information see the Autonomous Sanctions Act 2011, and the Export Controls Policy and Procedures.


Need advice?

If you need advice about the disclosure of export controls, sanctions or sensitive research activities, you can consult:

  • your supervisor or manager.

For advice regarding export controls, sanctions and sensitive research:

For conflicts of interest (COI):

For queries about conflict of interest related to research:

For information about research practice, including principles, advice, concerns, and training:

For policy queries:

For general queries regarding the disclosure and management of interests, contact:


Disclosure and management of interests - who needs to register?

UQ has created an integrated framework regarding the disclosure and management of interests, which simplifies and clarifies policies and procedures to ensure ethical and legal compliance.        

All fixed-term and continuing staff members are required to complete the Conflict of Interest Register. Casual, unpaid and honorary staff who have a conflict of interest to declare are required to complete the Conflict of Interest form (PDF, 1.42 MB) and submit to your supervisor in your organisational unit. Note that this form is different to the Conflict of Interest Register.

All professional staff (HEW 8 level and above) are required to complete the Secondary Employment Register.

All academic staff (continuing and fixed-term contracts of 12 months or longer; conjoint appointments where UQ is the lead employer) are required to complete the:

These registers must be completed annually, even if there is no item to disclose, and when circumstances change.