Staff should report hazards that could pose risks to people's health and safety, or the environment.

When a hazard has been identified and isolated, you should first try to resolve it locally.

You may need to log a request for repairs or report a fault by contacting PF Assist.

Hazards you can’t resolve locally

If you can’t resolve the hazard locally:

  1. Complete a hazard report in UQSafe, with your area’s Workplace Health and Safety Coordinator (WHSC) included as the nominated supervisor.
  2. The WHSC will complete the action plan as required.

If the WHSC can’t resolve the hazard:

  1. They should transfer the hazard report in UQSafe to Jim Carmichael, Director of Health, Safety and Wellness with the reason for transfer completed (for example, ‘corrective actions not progressing, require HSW assistance’).
  2. Specialist advisers in Health, Safety and Wellness will facilitate investigation and resolution of the hazard.

Applying for minor works funding

Each year there is funding available for minor works related to health, safety and wellness. Funding allocations must be approved by the Health Safety and Wellness, and Property and Facilities divisions.

Before you apply, you must submit the application to any relevant health and safety committees and get their endorsement. Make sure you take into consideration committee meeting schedules and approval timelines.

To apply for funding or for more information, contact Health, Safety and Wellness.

What you can receive funding for

You may be eligible to receive funding for:

  • addressing issues of non-compliance with occupational health and safety legislation, standards and regulations
  • completing health and safety projects where the University or an organisational area has already made a significant commitment of funds.

You will generally not be eligible for funding to cover costs for health and safety issues arising from planned re-fit, new construction, regular maintenance or new design. These costs should be included in the project design stage or covered by existing budgets.

But you may be eligible for funding in special circumstances or where situations have developed that could not have been foreseen, for example:

  • changes to occupational health and safety legislation or regulations
  • new work practices being developed to reduce the risk of illness or injury.

All works must be able to be carried out within an agreed timeframe to make sure there are no funding carryovers into the next year.