All academic staff, including fixed-term, continuing and paid conjoints, are required to identify and disclose any activities relating to export controls, sanctions and sensitive research.

3. Registering sensitive research

All academic staff including conjoint appointments where UQ is the lead employer must record their research activities that include items captured by the DSGL or the Sensitive Technologies List on the Sensitive Research Register (SRR).

The SRR is to be completed annually and when circumstances change. UQ encourages staff to notify of any changes as soon as possible in order to keep the information up to date.

The SRR is a registration process that does not require approval.

Complete the Sensitive Research Register

View Sensitive Research Register process flow diagram

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

I am unsure as to how my research relates to some of the descriptions listed under the DSGL – what should I do?

Visit the Department of Defence’s Export Controls page to find a comprehensive explanation of each category.

I work on a technology that is a broad category listed under Part 2 – Dual use goods. How do I make the judgement that my work is potentially dual use, and whether I should register?

If your source of funding is in any way related to government defence agencies, or the commercial defence industry, you should register your activity.  

If you have no intention of working on a military application of your specific technology, but other researchers in your field use the same specific technology in military applications, you should register your activity.

Are there any consequences for me if I register my research activity? Can I continue my research?

The Sensitive Research Register does not have an approval process.  It is intended to provide visibility of research activity across UQ that has specific requirements in relation to export controls and sanctioned countries.  Registering is way of reminding researchers that they have additional responsibilities when working in these areas, and allows the Office of research Ethics to more efficiently target training and notifications to researchers.

If you're unsure regarding whether or not your research activities are classified as ‘sensitive research’, it is best to register the information and seek advice from your supervisor. The Research Ethics and Integrity office can provide advice regarding a researcher’s obligations under the national legislation.

Need advice?

If you need advice about the disclosure of export controls, sanctions or sensitive research activities, you can consult:

  • your supervisor or manager.

For advice regarding export controls, sanctions and sensitive research:

For conflicts of interest (COI):

For queries about conflict of interest related to research:

For information about research practice, including principles, advice, concerns, and training:

For policy queries:

For general queries regarding the disclosure and management of interests, contact:


Disclosure and management of interests - who needs to register?

UQ has created an integrated framework regarding the disclosure and management of interests, which simplifies and clarifies policies and procedures to ensure ethical and legal compliance.        

All fixed-term and continuing staff members are required to complete the Conflict of Interest Register. Casual, unpaid and honorary staff who have a conflict of interest to declare are required to complete the Conflict of Interest form (PDF, 1.42 MB) and submit to your supervisor in your organisational unit. Note that this form is different to the Conflict of Interest Register.

All professional staff (HEW 8 level and above) are required to complete the Secondary Employment Register.

All academic staff (continuing and fixed-term contracts of 12 months or longer; conjoint appointments where UQ is the lead employer) are required to complete the:

These registers must be completed annually, even if there is no item to disclose, and when circumstances change.