Activism on campus update

10 May 2024

Dear staff,

At the end of a short but busy week, I wanted to update staff about the protests and the work the University is doing to address the small number of serious incidents that have occurred.

Before I do that, I want to acknowledge that this is a difficult time for our UQ community. My focus is on ensuring the safety and well-being of our staff and students and to do what we can to help build greater understanding and social cohesion among our community.

I want to thank our security team who have been extraordinarily diligent in their efforts to keep our campus safe.

As I mentioned, there have been some instances over the past 10 days that have required the University to take decisive action.

Yesterday afternoon, an individual attending a protest wilfully smashed the window of one of our teaching spaces. Thankfully no one was harmed, and I want to assure our staff and students that there was an active police and security presence at the protest.

We have also become aware of 2 videos of protestors filmed in the Great Court, the content of which is intolerable and has horrified me.

I have strongly condemned these behaviours and have written to protest organisers seeking a meeting as a matter of urgency. We have referred both incidents to the police and if the individuals are members of our community, we will act.

I have also made the decision that an individual who made unacceptable comments in the days following the terror attacks of 7 October 2023 will not be allowed to speak on campus. This decision was not taken lightly but the safety and well-being of our community must be my priority.

As I have said previously, the vast majority of the protest activities continue to be civil. However, incidences including staff being harmed, antisocial behaviour and items being removed and damaged are unacceptable.

In response, the University has reported matters to the police, taken action against members of our community, and increased security on campus.

I urge staff and students involved in these protests to please ensure the actions of your protests are respectful, peaceful and consider how they may impact other members of our community.

I remind staff to avail themselves of the free and confidential support that’s available 24/7 through our Employee Assistance Program, or speak with their manager/supervisor or HR team.

With best wishes
Debbie